|en dash (–)|
|Definition - The type of dash that is — for the most part — used to show ranges.|
1. Use it to show closed ranges.
2. However, use an em dash for open ranges.
George Harolds (1927—)
3. Don't use it with the from … to construction.
from 1968 to 1972 (not from 1968–1972)
4. Don't use it with the between … and construction.
between 1968 and 1970 (not between 1968–70)
5. Use the word to instead of an en dash when a range might be misread as subtraction.
50 to 100 V (not 50–100 V)
Etymology - It was so named because it is the same width as the letter n.