Definition - Adding emphasis by splitting the elements of a compound word and putting words in between, e.g. any — old — how.

1. When it occurs between syllables, it's called dystmesis.

Etymology -
The word derives from the Greek temein, to cut.

Oxford English Dictionary -
The term's first citation is from 1586:
"Timesis or Diacope, a division of a word compound into two parts, as, What might be soever unto a man pleasing, … for, whatsoever might be, etc."
(Day Eng. Secretary ii. (1625) 83)


1. My favourite usage of this is a nother as in "that is a whole nother story". I don't know whether it's considered 'correct', but it is in common usage.
(Liz Juniper, Melbourne)

Please comment